Sometimes a teacher is lucky enough to have known students who eventually excel in music and this fine gentleman is certainly a fine example of one of our success stories. Although Jim never studied trumpet with me, I was fortunate enough to have had him in my classes and was able to see this young, gifted man develop into a leading musician not only in performance, but also in composition as well as the recording industry.
I have included just a few of his accomplishments since leaving our University.
• North Texas State University, Masters Music, Denton, Texas, 1975
• University of Northern Iowa, BA Music, Cedar Falls, Iowa, 1973
• UCLA Film, Los Angeles, CA, AVID & Pro Tools Engineering, 1983
• Downbeat, Jazz Album of the Year (College Category), 1979
• Epcot Center Disneyworld, Music Producer, 1982
• Grammy Nomination, Best Jazz Album, 1983
• Grammy, Best Film Soundtrack, 1984
• Downbeat , Best Soundtrack Television, 1985
• Statue of Liberty Re-Opening Celebration, Music Producer, 1986
• Grammy Nomination, Best Classical Recording (Engineer), 1988
• Grammy Nomination, Best Classical Recording (Orchestral), 1992
• Emmy Nomination, Best Childrens Film, 1995
• U.S. State Department, United States Cultural Ambassador, 1996
• Grammy Nomination, Best Jazz Recording (Big Band), 1998
• Grammy Nomination, Best Classical Recording (Small Ensemble), 2001
• Grammy Nomination, Sound Mixing, 2003
• Grammy Nomination, Producer of the Year, 2005
Enjoy watching Jim at work in this recent recording session.