Some may ask, “Why should anyone need to oil their valves so quickly”? Trust me, it sometimes happens and being able to finish the job in less than half a minute can mean the difference between success and failure during a concert.
Years ago, I sometimes needed to oil my valves in a short amount of time during a faculty brass quintet concert at UNI. It always seemed to be a challenge which required me to get the job done between numbers during our numerous high school concerts. We all have had incidences where one or possibly two valves began to slow down and a quick oiling was the only solution to the problem. Let me show you how, under adverse conditions you can accomplish this record breaking technique.
How to oil your valves in 25 seconds-
1. Loosen all three valve caps.
2. Starting with valve cap #1, slide your thumb across all three valve caps toward the bell, loosening all three in one motion.
3. With your ring finger of the same hand, continue to loosen all three as you start this time with valve #3 and do the same movement back toward your mouthpiece.
4. Continue the thumb and ring finger action until all three valve caps are completely unscrewed.
5. Place your fingers between each of the valves and lift all three at the same time until the lower section is visible. Be careful not to bring them out too far.
6. Oil each valve, replace them in the valve casings and start the threading on each valve cap.
7. Reverse the direction of #4 until all three valve caps are secured.
Done and in only 25 seconds!